Services You Can Expect from a Qualified Live-In Caregiver
In addition to assistance for normal activities of daily living because of aging, a live-in can provide care in situations such as the following:
- Degenerative and chronic diseases such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), multiple sclerosis (MS), and Parkinson’s
- Dementias including Alzheimer’s, Lewy body dementia (LBD), and vascular dementia
- Palliative care
- Rehabilitative care
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Recovery from a personal injury due to automobile collision or other causes
Qualicare’s 8 step process to finding a successful live-in caregiver
1. A Qualicare nurse will collect all relevant data from the client, as well as with family and anyone involved that may be supporting the client at the present time. We look at the medical need as well as the social needs to find an appropriate caregiver. I always like to tell people that a caregiver can easily be taught how to medically take care of someone but the personality cannot be taught, so the most important information that we collect is the normal routine of the client and what types of people that they get along with. Then we look at what the client may want to do during the day or any activities that they have been prevented from doing due to lack of support. We find a caregiver that can assist them in those activities or may have similar interests. Next we look at language, religion, and then medical experience. Our Head to toe assessment covers all areas from Head to Toe and will assist our Qualicare Nurse to find out what are the most pressing concerns and will assist in writing a ca
re plan for the client that will assist the Nurse and the caregiver to meet all the needs together.
2. After the Nurse collects all of this information she will have a good idea on what all the needs are to assist the family in planning how much care that they require. Livein caregivers by law can work 44 hours a week and so if the amount of care accedes this then we need to consider alternative options. This could include hiring a second live-in caregiver to work on alternate hours or days, having family assist or hiring a company like our to provide stress free relief.
3. Qualicare will search out multiple sources for live-in caregivers. We post ads on public forums, use churches, embassy’s, social networks, caregiver referrals, and many others to get the most amount of applicants that we can. We review each applicant and schedule interviews if they meet our initial criteria.
4. All successful applicants get interviewed by the same Nurse that has sat with you and your family to ensure that your family’s needs and wants are remembered during the interviews process.
5. Qualicare will collect all copies of certificates, police clearance, and call references. We ensure that the references are from previous employers and will call and speak to someone anytime and anywhere in the world to ensure that the information is accurate.
6. The family will receive copies and files on all applicants to review prior to interviews.
7. Finally our Nurse will narrow the applicants down to 2 or 3 for the family to conduct a final interview. The family will chose the applicant based on their own judgment knowing that the caregivers have been properly screened and based on the nurse interviews are competent and able to work in the home.
8. As soon as the caregiver is placed in the home the Qualicare nurse will continue to assist the family and the caregiver for the first month. It is a period of adjustment for both and we can assist you to direct the caregiver as well as provide assistance to the caregiver in caring for your loved one. We provide a plan of care for the caregiver and directions to assist them. Our nurses can assist with training the caregiver for any medical requirements, as well as offering support and encouragement.
The Live-In Process
If there are adequate living accommodations at home, a live-in caregiver may be the most cost-effective option. We can provide assistance to you:
1. Our nurse will perform a thorough assessment of your family’s and loved one’s needs.
2. Based on our understanding of your needs, we find the right person for your loved one using four criteria: Culture, Temperament, Experience, and Skills. For more information about the matching criteria, visit why us.
3. We develop a care plan specific to your loved one. Live-in caregivers by law
can work up to 44 hours a week. If the amount of care exceeds this then we will help you consider alternatives and select the most suitable option.
4. We do all the “leg work”: post jobs, interview, check references, validate police clearances, and review certificates and relevant information. After our scrutiny, we recommend the top candidates for you to interview. You and your family make the final decision.
5. Qualicare helps with the hiring process and provide training and nurse management support for the first month.
Frequently asked questions
Why not hire a foreign worker?
Can a caregiver give medications?
How many hours can a caregiver work?
Can a live-in caregiver do housework?
What if the caregiver doesn’t work out?
What if Mom/Dad ever requires hospitalization?
What if Mom/Dad requires long term care?
How much do I pay a live-in?
“We called Qualicare Ottawa to get in-home post-op support for my wife. Before their care started, Qualicare discussed our case with the hospital and the surgeon’s office on our behalf to make sure that we have the arrangements as best as possible. At discharge from the hospital, Qualicare’s nurse was present there to get post-op instructions. She and a caregiver attended to my wife at home afterwards. Their intense care was very helpful to my wife’s subsequent recovery. Their attention before and after the surgery had, indeed, brought peace of mind and comfort for us. I would freely recommend Qualicare to my friends and family.”
“Just a little note to say that Holly did a WONDERFUL job at my SCI Ontario Peer Connections on Thursday evening. She is THE BEST! She is AMAZING at her job and is FANTASTIC with the clients. Everyone loves her! Thank you again for sending her to us.”
“Thank you to the staff, office and front line, at Qualicare for taking care of our needs and for your compassion towards our difficult situation. We appreciate and are extremely grateful for your commitment to making sure we have overnight care for Sara in order for us to get our rest. We feel we are in very good hands.”
“Thanks to Kelly, Andrea, and Eddie from Qualicare Ottawa for all the help you all provided for my mother and our family during the last few weeks of her life. We are all very grateful for the compassionate quality care received.”
“The fact that the girls arrived at my home knowing my medical problem, about the recent death of my husband, and generally what was expected of them made it so very easy for both myself and my daughter.”